"The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others..."
- Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

24.3.11

Finally... the big news!

I have had some life news that I've been keeping in for about 6 weeks and I can finally let it out!

I am moving to Guwahati, India on May 1st! I have accepted a long term volunteer position with Operation Smile to work at the cleft center. I knew before I even left Guwahati in February that I needed to come back for longer period. The past six weeks have been a lot of waiting, praying, contemplating and talking to the people closest to me. My heart was set on returning but I had this fear inside me that it wouldn't end up going through. That is how I knew I was making the right choice. The thought of not going, not having this experience, not living in India hurt my heart and made me feel sick. I just knew.

Yesterday I got the official offer to go out there. Today I talked to my manager and director. I explained where I was going and what I was doing. I told them that I can't imagine moving back here this fall and not returning to the PICU. However, 6+ months is an extremely long leave of absence so I knew it would be nearly impossible for them to hold my position. I couldn't believe it but my director has offered to discuss my options with human resources with the hopes of being able to hold my position for me! I can't believe it! I feel so blessed right now. I also spent today notifying my complex that I am breaking my lease (the only ding in my wallet), suspending my t-mobile account, setting up stop dates for all utilities, car and renter's insurance and I am slowly researching how to sell a car. It is all going to come together, and it has to happen rather quickly.

Ryan and the rest of my family are completely supportive of my choice. They know what is in my heart and that I wouldn't make a decision like this without thoroughly weighing all of my options. I don't even feel like a door has opened, but a whole world.

I'll end with my vlog that I also posted on le other blog, sorry for those of you who follow both!




5 comments:

  1. I am SO happy and proud of you! You are truly an inspiration and I can't wait to read/hear all about your adventures. You're amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such a blessing. We're so happy for you and i cant wait to follow you around your new home town via vlogs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my goodness that is so exciting! what a huge and brave decision :)

    you are such a sweet girl x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey !
    i'm a first time visitor on your blog, going through it.. loving your posts.. guess what! i'm from India :)
    Though Guwahati is far away from where I live ( Jodhpur, Rajasthan)
    If ever you plan a trip to the Indian Desert, visiting me would be very delightful!
    Love your decision.. wish you the best for the time in India :)

    Defiant Princess
    http://khanvibes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete